What are Council Rates?

Local Authority Rates are a levy based upon property values that pay for facilities and services provided by the Council.  Facilities include recreation centres and their grounds, the Aquatic Centre, playgrounds, the library, roads, footpaths, parks and reserves.

Property valuations are provided by the Valuer General of WA for two types of values.  These are Gross Rental Value (GRV) that usually applies to township areas and Unimproved Value (UV) that is generally for rural land.

GRV is an estimate of the rent a property may earn in a year whereas UV refers to the site value of the property.

GRVs for properties are revalued every four years and values for UV properties are set annually.

Local Governments set a 'rate in the dollar' as part of their Annual Budget process when they are determining the revenue required to be raised by rates for that year's expenditure.  There is also a minimum rate set each year to ensure all residents contribute in an equal manner.  The minimum rate generally applies to undeveloped properties.

Services for which separate charges may be made include refuse collection (annual charge with rates), building and planning approvals, and a wide range of professional assistance.

Who pays Council Rates?

Rates are the responsibility of the current owner of a property.  Ownership can be established by enquiring with Landgate.  New owners and those transferring ownership do have a legal responsibility to inform Local Authorities when a change in ownership or the address for service of notice changes.

Collection of Overdue Rates

There are sections in the Local Government Act that gives Councils the power to collect overdue rates.  This includes the ability to sell the property if rates are unpaid after three years.

Any costs of legal action will be added to the rates account.

Interest will accrue daily on all overdue rates and charges (7%pa).

Annual Payment of Rates

The option of full payment or four instalments of their Annual Council Rates and Charges is available to ratepayers.


Make cheque payable to SHIRE OF WEST ARTHUR and crossed "Not negotiable".  Mail payment to:  Shire of West Arthur, PO BOX 112 West Arthur WA 6392.


Present the rates notice intact to the Customer Service Officer at 31 Burrowes Street, West Arthur WA 6392.  Council Admin Centre is open for business:  Monday - Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm (excluding Public Holidays).  We accept credit card, debit card, cash or personal cheques.


Payment may be made by MasterCard or Visa by telephoning Council's Admin Centre on 08 9736 2400.

It is most important that Assessment Number and Surname is quoted when making this payment.


Bank Details for EFT payment:

Account Name:  Shire of West Arthur Municipal Account
BSB:  086-724
Account:  508314385

It is most important that Assessment Number and Surname is quoted when making this payment.

If you are experiencing difficulties in paying, please contact the Admin Office, on 08 9736 2222 during office hours.

Pensioners / Seniors

If you meet the following criteria during this financial year, you may be entitled to register your property for a concession on council rates:

  • You are the owner or part owner of the property;
  • You live in the property
  •  You hold either a current pensioner concession card, seniors card or a state concession card.

Depending upon individual circumstances concessions available are:

  • Rebates of up to 50% of current council rates and Emergency Services Levy.
  • Deferment, without interest, of up to 100% of current rates.

For full details on how to register your property for this purpose please contact the Admin Office, on 08 9736 2222 during office hours.

Note:  This concession scheme is funded by the Western Australian State Government under the provisions of the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992 (as amended).  In order to obtain a concession on your current rates account you MUST register at the Council Admin Centre.

Rubbish Charges are not eligible for pension rebates and must be paid in full each year.

Change of Address

Please advise Council in writing of any change of address to which notices are to be sent.  The assessment number should be quoted on all such correspondence.

Alternatively you can fill in the Change of Details form. 

Option to Receive Email Rate Notice

Did you know that you can receive your Rate Notice by Email? 

If you are interested in using this service, please complete the Register for e-Rates form.

Emergency Services Levy

The Emergency Services Levy is collected on behalf of, and forwarded to Department of Fire and Emergency Services to fund the Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Brigades, SES units and DFES units throughout Western Australia.

ESL Flyer 2023-24